[racket-dev] New error messages for *SL

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 9 01:59:31 EDT 2011

> Fix pushed.

Thanks.

> Some remaining issues:
>
>  * ISL's "Syntax" section lists syntax that was already in B+SL.
>
>  * ASL incorrectly specifies >= 1 arguments required for functions and
>   function calls (i.e., functions and call are not common syntax at
>   that point).
>
>  * The order of some things is strange, such as `quote' instead of
>   `define' to lead off the BSL syntax section.

Those are fixed in the commit I just pushed.

>  * All contracts for primitives print as lists.

This is pending. I'll look into it next.

>  * Expanding `expr' to `expression' means that the grammar tables don't
>   fit in the available width. (Is `expr' as an abbreviation confusing
>   to students?)

In general, yes, abbreviations are a big speed bump for students,
enough that we put a 'no abbreviation' rule in the error message
composition guidelines. It's somewhat important that the HTdP
documentation be consistent with what we say in the guidelines.

The grammar chart doesn't look too wide on my machine, except for the
two lines for "case" in Advanced. Are you seeing something else?

Posted on the dev mailing list.