[racket-dev] JFYI: Apple's Mac App store now online

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Jan 11 12:52:00 EST 2011

This article from TidBITS

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11864

describes the launch of the new Mac App Store.  It's clearly Apple's intention to make this the primary way of distributing software on the Mac, and it wouldn't surprise me to see not-so-subtle barriers to non-app-store app installation going up soon.

And, while I'm sure Apple would cheerfully grind us all into a paste if it would produce a significant one-time bump to the cash flow sheet, I don't think this is necessarily a terrible thing for DrRacket. Um, although I'm not coming up with any good side to this right now.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years users start asking why DrRacket isn't available through the App store.

I would search to see whether other IDE's are part of the App Store, but... I don't think you can browse it until you install the App Store. And I think there's something about getting a required tattoo, also.

John (sorry, that was in poor taste)

Posted on the dev mailing list.