[racket-dev] Git

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:25:47 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> It looks like you had 53 commits that were pushed to plt/master in a
>> slightly modified form -- probably you had them locally, rebased a few
>> commits from plt/master, then pushed them, and robby/plt never got
>> updated to reflect the rebase.  The "Nothing to do" indicates those
>> diffs are reflected in plt/master, so you probably don't need to worry
>> about them.
>>
>> If you have gitk or gitg you can run them to check if master is the
>> same revision as plt/master, or you can run "git log plt/master..HEAD"
>> to see if you have any lingering commits.  But I think you don't.  In
>> any event, you can resync robby/plt to what you currently have by
>> running:
>
> git log plt/master..HEAD didn't print anything out.
>
> But I'm not quite understanding what this 53 message is saying to me
> and I'd like to try.

What you want to do is run gitk and/or git log on origin/master, which
is where those 53 show up.  All you've run it on, I believe, is
master, which is now a clone of plt/master, where those 53 commits
have already been folded in to the rest of the history.

If your goal is to figure out this git stuff, I'm happy to keep
answering questions.  If your goal is, more immediately, to figure out
if you need those 53 commits, open up read permissions to robby/plt
and I (or someone) more familiar with the commands can check it out
real quick.

> I've opened gitk and I see that there was this commit:
>
>  commit 69963a1f2c50c902a174af45b96aa21d2d79a6d6
>  Author: Mike Sperber <sperber at deinprogramm.de>
>  Date:   Thu Jan 6 13:53:51 2011 +0100
>    Fix bug in struct-wrap signature checking.
>    Only check the fields if we know the struct type is right.
>

> that is off on its own side path. Ie my graph looks like this:
>

>   o  improve canvas drawing docs
>   o  Merge remote branch origin (committer Sperber)
>  /|
>  / |
> |  |
> |  73 commits (why 73?!)
> |  |
> |  o like f57b431c2e6466c (missed other case)
> *  |
>  \ |
>  \|
>   o New Racket version 5.0.99.6
>
> where the * is the commit mentioned above.
>
>> git push --force
>
> I assume that even with the information above, this is still sounding
> like the right thing?
>
> ... and now I've opened gitk in another, regular copy of the plt tree
> and I see the exact same graph.
>
> So I've re-read that first paragraph you wrote and I'm sure it
> contains the answer I seek, but I don't yet understand it.
>
> Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.