[racket-dev] Git

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 12:06:19 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> In case you find it to be an improved workflow, here's what I do: I
> maintain cce/plt as a clone of plt.  I work on it, on whatever branch.
>  Whenever I feel it has gotten too far behind -- which can be daily,
> weekly, or whenever -- I run "git remote update" followed by "git
> rebase plt/master".  Nearly all of the time, this runs without
> complaint and puts me in a state where I have exactly the plt/master
> history, plus my own edits following all of that.  So I can
> continually develop, and push to plt only when I'm all done, but I
> maintain a linear history (no forks-and-merges).  It also minimizes
> the amount of "clobbering" I need to do.

Thanks! I'm giving this a try.  I created robby/plt and then cloned
it. Turns out that robby/plt was an old old copy of the main thingy
(which I no longer know how to refer to).

So I did this ("git" means "git.racket-lang.org" in my ssh setup as I
did things that way before Eli's recommendation changed)

  git clone git:robby/plt
  git remote add plt git:plt

and then "git remote -v" produced this:

  origin  git:robby/plt (fetch)
  origin  git:robby/plt (push)
  plt     git:plt (fetch)
  plt     git:plt (push)

which seems like the right thing. So I did

  git remote update
  git rebase -v plt/master

and I got lots and lots of messages about files changing which ended like this:

   delete mode 100644 src/wxxt/utils/image/src/wx_imgx.h
   delete mode 100644 src/wxxt/utils/image/src/wx_pbm.cc
   delete mode 100644 src/wxxt/utils/image/src/wx_pcx.cc
   delete mode 100644 src/wxxt/utils/image/src/wx_pm.cc
   delete mode 100644 src/wxxt/utils/image/src/wx_xbm.cc
  Nothing to do.

and now I have this:

  % git status
  # On branch master
  # Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
  # and have 2885 and 53 different commit(s) each, respectively.
  #
  nothing to commit (working directory clean)

And now I'm a little bit worried. I'd have expected that I would get a
message indicating that I was just straight ahead of origin/master
instead of diverging from it.

Does this mean that my robby/plt thing was not really from a point in
the direct past of my plt/master?

Any advice on what I should do now?

> But the nice thing about git is there are so many ways to get things
> done, you can use whatever workflow you prefer.

I'll be happy when ignorance is replaced by preference as my problem. :)

And thanks in advance for getting this far :)

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.