From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Feb 10 18:20:51 EST 2011

8 minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM,  <eli at racket-lang.org> wrote:
> >
> > c4661de Eli Barzilay <eli at racket-lang.org> 2011-02-04 04:30
> > :
> > | Bump version numbers of mzscheme and mred.
> > |
> > | (These things should not be used anymore.)
>
> This change (which changed the numbers from 400 (with a 4!) to 510
> breaks the ability to install PLT files generated on recent builds
> of Racket on older installations.  If the numbers indeed should not
> be used anymore, and weren't harming anything, since we hadn't
> noticed, could we change this back to 400 so as to avoid the
> breakage?

The intention of that check is to avoid making a plt file with one
version and installing it on an earlier version -- which is exactly
what you're doing.

Meanwhile, it looks like there is a worse problem with these version
numbers -- John tried to install a plt in the other direction and got:

  cannot install; version (400) of collection ("mzscheme") is
  required, but version (510) is installed

By "should not be used anymore" I meant that this whole thing is
outdated -- and seeing John's problem supports this.

So instead of changing the 510 back to 400, I think that I'll remove
it completely, and make the packing code not include any version
requirements at all, and make the unpacking code not check any version
requirements from older versions.

Matthew: does this sound reasonable?  (I'm assuming that you made that
version thing, but maybe it's related to the ancient attempt at having
separate components updated independently?)