[racket-dev] [racket-bug] all/12434: match fails to signal type error?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 9 15:48:50 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is now the fourth time I've seen people ask about this.
>
> Why can't Typed Racket be a little different than Racket and have another
> match form that does this or a notion of disjoint unions?

This has been implemented, and is used in Eli's PL class.  It just
needs to be merged into the main branch of PLAI development.

However, this doesn't give you what people seem to want, which is
having `match' report coverage errors.  Instead, it works only on its
notion of disjoint union, just as the regular PLAI forms do.

Having this work for `match', in general, is not in my opinion
feasible.  However, writing a version of `match' that puts
`typecheck-fail' in the else clause could work, although you'd need to
implement `match' differently in certain ways to avoid over-agressive
type errors.

> You've said many times that TR is for converting Racket programs, but
> clearly some of us want to write quasi-ML in TR, but we can't without hacks
> like this.

This (the `typecheck-fail' form) is not a hack -- it's a tool for
building exactly the thing you want.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu