[racket-dev] Icons issues

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 5 16:49:06 EST 2011

Matthew, Neil, and I have been talking about how to resolve the
dependency problem. I think that the our thinking was that the best
plan is to break out a "pict" library that both slideshow and drracket
can safely depend on, and have the icons library depend on that.

We didn't consider putting some of it into 'meta', tho. That makes a
lot of sense to me. Neil, Matthew, how does that sound?

Size: It appears that the Redex library is so huge because of the .zo
files, which suggests that probably there are some macros who
expansion is poor (ie, a bug to be fixed), so probably that means that
icons is morally the largest one. ... well except that I get that
scribblings is 3x larger than icons when the docs are built.

Name: I think it is called the icons collection because that's where
the icons were before when Neil generalized things. We could make a
'sprites' collection and then move maybe even move planetcute into
that collection?

Finally, I think that we'll need a little bit of time to get this
resolved. Is there some way we can do something to get the nightly
building running again while we get this sorted out?

(I'll leave the minor point to Neil.)

Robby