[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 31 08:13:22 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Marijn <hkBst at gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 08/25/11 19:30, Robby Findler wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Marijn <hkBst at gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Robby,

>>> On Linux, in my File menu the Ctrl-w shortcut is always listed
>>> as shortcut for Close, while Close Tab has no shortcut, but I see
>>> now that Ctrl-w's behavior is actually to close the current tab.
>>> So in this case my suggestion comes down to just relabelling the
>>> menu items from:
>>>
>>> File -> Close

>>> File -> Close Window
>>
>> I'm going to follow the apple human interface guidelines on this
>> point and leave things as they are:
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Menus/Menus.html
>>

>>> and fixing the moving of the Ctrl+W keybinding in the labels.
>
> In this case you should fix the above-mentioned moving, because on Gtk
> Ctrl+W stays put no matter the number of tabs.

The GTK interface guidelines suggest that "close" (and thus control-w)
should "close the current document" which, to me, means the current
tab, not the current window. I find that here:

http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/hig-book.html#the-file-menu

(This is different from Apple's which say that "close" always closes a
window.) I suppose that means that I should change the meaning of the
"close" menu under gtk without changing the label of the menu but I
think that's probably slightly more confusing than the status quo
(well, when the bug mentioned below gets fixed).

>>> Another option is to change:
>>>
>>> File -> Close (Ctrl+W) File -> Close Tab

>>> File -> Close Window (Ctrl+Shift+W) File -> Close Tab (Ctrl+W)
>>>
>>> and not move the shortcuts depending on tab plurality.
>>>
>>> Firefox and Midori both have Ctrl+Shift+W bound to Close Window,
>>> so maybe that is a good candidate for drRacket too (if a shortcut
>>> beyond Alt+F4 is desired for Close Window). Other programs with
>>> tabs I checked only have one of Close Window and Quit, in each
>>> case bound to Ctrl+(Shift+)Q.
>>
>> I like the idea of adding shift, but I've changed things so that
>> instead of the w shortcut going away, the close menu item becomes
>> <menukey>-shift-w (so the shifting behavior is still there and we
>> are complying with the guidelines in the no-tabs case).
>
> On Gtk nothing has changed for me.

Thanks for the update. Sorry about that. I think that there must be a
gtk-specific bug here. I'll try making a VM and seeing if I can make a
small test case.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.