[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 25 13:30:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Marijn <hkBst at gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi Robby,
>
> On 08/25/11 14:13, Robby Findler wrote:
>> The intention is that "close" means "close window" and the
>> <menukey>-w shortcut moves between the close and close tab menu items
>> depending on how many tabs are open.
>>
>> Are you seeing something different than that?
>
> On Linux, in my File menu the Ctrl-w shortcut is always listed as
> shortcut for Close, while Close Tab has no shortcut, but I see now that
> Ctrl-w's behavior is actually to close the current tab. So in this case
> my suggestion comes down to just relabelling the menu items from:
>
> File -> Close

> File -> Close Window

I'm going to follow the apple human interface guidelines on this point
and leave things as they are:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Menus/Menus.html

> and fixing the moving of the Ctrl+W keybinding in the labels.
>
> Another option is to change:
>
> File -> Close (Ctrl+W)
> File -> Close Tab

> File -> Close Window (Ctrl+Shift+W)
> File -> Close Tab (Ctrl+W)
>
> and not move the shortcuts depending on tab plurality.
>
> Firefox and Midori both have Ctrl+Shift+W bound to Close Window, so
> maybe that is a good candidate for drRacket too (if a shortcut beyond
> Alt+F4 is desired for Close Window). Other programs with tabs I checked
> only have one of Close Window and Quit, in each case bound to
> Ctrl+(Shift+)Q.

I like the idea of adding shift, but I've changed things so that
instead of the w shortcut going away, the close menu item becomes
<menukey>-shift-w (so the shifting behavior is still there and we are
complying with the guidelines in the no-tabs case).

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.