[racket-dev] Downloading DrRacket for Mac is hard?

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 13 21:44:08 EDT 2011

On Aug 13, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

>>> "They [...] were presented 5 different options for downloading
>>> DrRacket for Mac".
>>
>> Yes, but was one of them clearly distinguished from the rest, to
>> indicate "this is probably what you want"?
>
> Yes, by being the first -- which is the same as things are now --
> which is why I bothered with trying to make it less visible.

If a user KNOWS that the web server has made a probably-correct guess
at which version the user needs, that's great.

But by definition, we're concerned with users who have little or no
technical background, and probably very little technical confidence.
Such a user is left staring at a long list of slightly-different
version names, with no basis for choosing one over the others but a
very real fear that choosing the wrong version will cause the
computer to explode.  The probably-correct answer has to be SEPARATE
from the rest, to give the user confidence.

A minimal solution would be to use the current format, but add the
text "We've made our best guess as to which version you need.  If
you're sure this guess is wrong, feel free to select a different one
from the menu.  If you pick the wrong one, the worst thing that can
happen is [FILL THIS IN]."

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu