[racket-dev] Download link

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Aug 13 21:39:25 EDT 2011

10 minutes ago, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I'd like to renew the suggestion that Guillaume works out a concrete
> plan and we take it from there.

I'll be happy for a better layout.  (Just as long as it's not a
search+replace of the FF download...)

And something else that I forgot to mention: the question of reducing
the number of clicks, which is desirable too.  The main issue there is
getting the same content that is currently on the download page to
appear on the front page:

* The version number & release date
* The platform combo box (needed because of the previously mentioned
  issues)
* The four links at the bottom of the download page

Also: it needs to work when there's no JS.  Currently, this is done by
listing all the platform installers in a list -- not pretty, but this
is an exceptional case.  (To see it, disable JS and go to the download
page.)

Another way to cut the number of links is to merge the mirror list
into the download page.  The best I could think of is another combo
box, but that doesn't seem like a good idea if we want to encourage
using mirrors.  Ideally, there would be a way to detect the closest
mirror, but I don't know of a good way to do it...  One option is a
geoip database that could be used in JS (but all I found was expensive
stuff), and another option is to find some known distribution network
that does this kind of thing by itself (but again, all I found were
things that are very ad-intense).

Of course, it'll be even better if both of the above happens, so you
get the nice single-click thing that gets you the default-platform and
nearest-download.