[racket-dev] Plot testing and feedback

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 12 22:56:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Neil Toronto <neil.toronto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I get a racket/gui expert's help on Jay's machine's output? There are
> two issues:
>
> 1. I have it render text with an 8 point font. On Jay's Mac, it's too small
> to be 8 point. Either there's some font scaling or it's erroneously choosing
> an 8 *pixel* font. How can we tell?

I have trouble with font sizes across platforms, too. I think it is
easiest to just special case the default font size (but do the below
first).

> 2. The Mac's get-char-width is returning something apparently too big -
> especially for the tiny font size - which makes all of Jay's plots scrunch
> up to make room for the Y axis labels. Is this a bug?

I think that level of the system is pretty widely used. You might see
if you can sit in front of his machine and play around to see if you
can make a small example and maybe that'll clarify things.

Robby