[racket-dev] Plot testing and feedback

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 22:47:43 EDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 07:04 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> Windows done; specs below in case someone w/ a significantly different
> machine wants to try it out too:
>
> Windows 7 Home Premium
> 1.2 GHz ULV Intel Core i5-430UM
> 4 GB DDR3 RAM
> SATA hard drive (5400 RPM)
>
> Output is here:
>
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/tmp/neil-toronto.tgz
>
> The package looks amazing, btw.

Thank you! I blame, in order:

1. Racket's awesome cross-platform drawing library. Holy cow! Making
nice plots would be next to impossible without it. Also, the fact that I
can render to ps/pdf/svg just by passing a different dc is wicked cool.
It even does alpha! In a PDF! How about that?

2. Specular highlights on the 3D surface plots.

I try to tell myself that the pretty lighting model helps the human
visual system grok shapes better, but the truth is that I like me a nice
big bag of eye candy.

Neil T

Posted on the dev mailing list.