[racket-dev] Downloading DrRacket for Mac is hard?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 11 14:10:00 EDT 2011

I think that maybe, given this particular choice, it makes more sense
to say, on the web page, "We believe you are on a mac; the 32bit
version is the one you want, unless you're sure you want the 64bit
version, which is here. other versions there" which a touch of good
design and better wording, I think that would be better than relying
on adobe not doing software development.

Robby

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Guillaume Marceau <gmarceau at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Guillaume Marceau <gmarceau at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In the ambiguous cases, you can get additional information by checking for
>> > flash. Because Adobe doesn't support flash player on x64 browsers, if
>> > detection is successful then it is definitely a 32 bit browser, if not, then
>> > the request came from either a 32 bit browser without flash plugin or from a
>> > 64 bit browser.
>>
>> That seems like an unfortunate thing to rely on.
>
> Such is life in the stormy world of web development. Just ask Danny
> about the ridiculous things he has to do to make WeScheme work on the
> different browsers.

Posted on the dev mailing list.