[racket-dev] Search by example (was Re: Roogle?)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Aug 6 20:58:16 EDT 2011

Two minutes ago, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> On 2011-08-06 8:25 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > *However*, there's an awful lot of functions to try -- going over
> > them will make a very slow search...
>
> There's not *that* many. How long does 100,000 function calls take?

Not much, but:

* Just loading the code will take some significant time.

* Some calls will inevitably need to be rejected on the basis of a
  timeout.  (For example, imagine (sleep 10).)  If there are many of
  these, things become slow again.

(Oh, and BTW, gui functionality will be interesting too.)

> I'd imagine you'd search the exports from racket/base before looking
> further afield, as well.

If you restrict the search for only these, then things are definitely
much more practical.