[racket-dev] Scribble output changes

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 5 19:54:07 EDT 2011

Matthew wrote:

> Latex output changed in more ways:
>
>  * Table content is vertically centered by default, making it more
>    consistent with HTML.
>
>  * In a table cell, a paragraph with a `#f' style name is rendered as a
>    single line (as before), but a width is imposed on paragraphs that
>    have a style name to make them flow as paragraphs.

For what it's worth, I found the documentation on tables largely
incomprehensible, and could not get them to render through LaTeX without
everything all mushed together. I finally wrote my own table function
(using \array, which spaces things out well) that had the formatting I
wanted. Cell styles? No clue.

Apropos of which, I don't know how to produce pure raw LaTeX code from
within Scribble. I can usually cheat with things like

(make-element
     (make-style "begin" '(exact-chars)) ...)

or (make-style "relax" ...), but for LaTeX package macros that parse one
of their arguments more exactly (where wrapping the argument in
\relax{...} will not work), I have to resort to building what I want at
a high enough level that I can wrap it all in \relax without LaTeX
getting upset. I feel like I'm pretty much doing what the LaTeX renderer
does, but trying to stay within a higher-level API. If we want Scribble
to be a LaTeX replacement but still render through LaTeX, it might need
more thinking as to how to provide access in a Rackety fashion.

Sorry if I'm being completely ignorant here. I'm a passable Racket
programmer but a lousy LaTeX programmer. --PR

Posted on the dev mailing list.