[racket-dev] Roogle?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 5 02:57:00 EDT 2011

I have an unfinished analysis of searches on
http://docs.racket-lang.org/ Summary points from memory (I don't have
the data in front of me):

  - Most searches are for one word, with frequency decreasing sharply
as number of words increases
  - The most popular search was for list. Who the heck has to look up
list! That perhaps gives some insight into who is using the search
most often (beginning users, I assume)
  - It's quite clear that a significant fraction of searches will get
very poor results from the current search implementation. Anyone
searching for a text phrase or a word that doesn't exactly match a
phrase in the index, for example.

In conclusion, I think adding full text search (e.g. Lucene/Solr)
would have the largest impact on the existing search and this doesn't
even require much implementation work. Pick the low hanging fruit!

N.