[racket-dev] Roogle?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Aug 5 01:01:39 EDT 2011

Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote at 08/05/2011 12:17 AM:
> This idea is proposed roughly every 2-3 years for at least 30 years.
> I am not aware of anyone having made this idea "fly".

If you have a info retrieval method with useful precision&recall, but
the barrier to adoption is the user's overhead in invoking the
feature... you might help it fly by not requiring user to invoke it.

For general example, something done automatically, context-sensitive,
that user can perceive in subtle visual annotations, or by glancing into
another part of the window, or something.

For more specific, and potentially quite simple example: your
editor/viewer/browser knows what bits of text you're editing or looking
at (cursor, what's visible in window, document, movement, maybe even
gaze-tracking), and in some little window provides a ranked list of info
(perhaps document links/excerpts) it thinks might be relevant at the
moment. People including myself have used this approach successfully for
IR problems.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/