[racket-dev] Roogle?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Aug 5 00:08:03 EDT 2011

6 minutes ago, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> A few of us in the lab today were discussing how the Haskell
> community has this nice tool called Hoogle
> (http://www.haskell.org/hoogle) that lets you search Haskell docs by
> type.

Are there any *practical* uses for that thing?

(Not a flame, I tried it a few times, and it looked like i might be
useful in a language where you use point-free style to compose
functions -- so you might know the type that you need `(a -> b -> c)
-> (b -> c -> a)' but not the `flip' name.  But such serches don't
see, to work.  So from this shallow scan, it looks like one of these
things that sound cool on paper, but are useless in practice.)

> Is it at all feasible to supplement Racket's doc search to display
> contracts

That won't be hard in itself, but the real problem is huge blocks of
text in the results which would make it much less useful.

> and/or search by contract? (or type for TR)

That would be more difficult, since the search will need to do a lot
more work.  I'm also guessing that given that we have much more *text*
in contracts (as in "integer" and "resolved-module-path?"), it will
make searching show way more false positives.