[racket-dev] New plot library [Was: (to Jay) Re: What I'm working on]

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 3 00:10:01 EDT 2011

> Doug and other heavy `plot' users: What can I add to plot2d and plot3d to
> make your life easier?

Do you know about ggplot? It's a plotting library based on a grammar
of graphic elements, rather than a bucket of pre-set charts, which is
what most plotting libraries offer. The design principles behind
ggplot are very Scheme-like: a small base of powerful orthogonal
features with as few restriction on composition as possible.

   http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/resources/2007-past-present-future.pdf

It would be great to have something like it in ggplot. I do a lot of
charting, but I hardly ever use the plot module since the charts I do
are more 'information design'-style charts that can't be made with
pre-set charts. If DrRacket had a plotting library like ggplot, I
would be able to stop building everything by hand from pict's.

Posted on the dev mailing list.