[racket-dev] racket-5.1{, .0.6} not building foreign interface not supported

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 10 22:08:56 EDT 2011

I've made `--disable-foreign' work again, at least for plain `racket'.

Just to be clear:

 * GRacket no longer works without the FFI (so the `--enable-gracket'
   and `--disable-foreign' combination in your build log isn't useful).

 * The `--disable-foreign' option may eventually disappear completely.

Meanwhile, `configure' now detects when libffi is already installed and
uses it (instead of building the version that is included with Racket).

At Fri, 8 Apr 2011 06:47:24 -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:38:54 +0200, Marijn wrote:
> > I get this behavior with both --enable-foreign and --disable-foreign,
> > but I don't see how it could be relevant that foreign interface is not
> > supported my platform when I disabled foreign. If I disable it then it
> > should skip this part which fails, right?
>
> Oh, I understand now. You want the FFI to be disabled, but Racket
> doesn't build without the FFI enabled.
>
> I'll look into that, but Racket is evolving toward a point where the
> FFI will be required always. We may be there already (in which case
> `--disable-foreign' should be removed). As of v5.1, the FFI is required
> for any drawing or GUI program (including DrRacket).

Posted on the dev mailing list.