[racket-dev] raco dwim

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 08:03:04 EDT 2010

On Sep 10, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> This seems like a coherent thing for it to do, but not something
> that I would personally use. I don't think I'd use it or like having
> it there because the more complicated the algorithm it uses to
> choose what to run, the more complicate the algorithm I run in my
> brain to predict what it will do has to be. Basically, I think I am
> likely to make mistakes this way.

(That's why I thought that looking in the contents of a suffixless
file is bad.)  In any case, I think that a good example here is a .plt
file -- do I really have to spell things out when "raco foo.plt" is
pretty obvious?  (Also, it makes raco a replacement for setup-plt,
where you can throw drag and drop a plt file into it.)

> As an aside, I thought we talked about this back when 'raco' was
> created about whether it should also serve as 'racket'.

I don't remember if this direction was raised...  I thought it was the
other way -- I remember Matthew mentioning that `racket' has a very
picky and often difficult to learn use of flag, but as a result it's
very flexible.  So it seems that raco is a natural fit for the other
extreme -- very fixed by patterns, but much easier to remember.