[racket-dev] try the GRacket2 branch

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 18:29:08 EDT 2010

I got GRacket2 running under Ubuntu. In general, things work as expected. It
is my animations that I'm most concerned about and some work and some don't.
I've only tried the ones that are available on PLaneT - I haven't even
checked any of the others yet.

The animated-canvas library that I have on PLaneT has two examples. The
histogram-test.rkt example works as expected. The lines.rkt example draws a
few lines and then locks up. Adding a (yield) after (send canvas
swap-bitmaps) in line 55 gets it to run - sort of. The animation is fairly
smooth for 10 sets of lines, but is really strange at 50 (for example) -
with this machine on the old GRacket it would be smooth at 100. And, my stop
button implementation doesn't work will - it just sets a global and the
graphics routines exit when they see it set - it eventually stops, but may
require 10 to 15 seconds or so. I suspect that the animated-canvas
functionality for double-buffering may not be needed anymore and the 'flush'
operations are what I need to look at.

The interactions.ss file in the simulation package on PLaneT also required a
(yield) after line 107 to give the animation effect - there is no double
buffering or anything here. But, with that added, it seems to run fine.

I guess I need a better understanding of how the new canvas is working in
order to deprecate the animated-canvas capability for my animations. Any
thoughts, Matthew?

Doug