[racket-dev] [plt] Push #21356: gr2 branch updated

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 27 16:40:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Is there no conventional precedent for this?

There are several numbering schemes in use in projects that I know about:

1. major.minor.patch, as with us.  The Linux Kernel, GCC, Subversion,
Git, and many many other projects use this.
2. major.minor with no patch revisions.  FreeBSD, KDE, Emacs, and
other projects do this.
3. major.even-minor. with odd-minor indicating development releases.
Gnome and various other projects use this.

None of these in my experience have incremented by more than +1 (or +2
in case 3), even for significant changes. For example, GCC 4.5 added
whole-program link time optimization and a plugin system (both very
significant changes) over version 4.4.

An additional thought: what if we make a similarly-significant change
after 5.8?  What will the new number be?
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.