[racket-dev] [plt] Push #21356: gr2 branch updated

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 27 16:22:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> mflatt has updated `gr2' from 5633895cf0 to 2b2de4ece6.
>>  http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/5633895cf0..2b2de4ece6
>
> So, I see from this commit that you're planning to move the version
> number to 5.5.  I think this is a mistake.  We've been trying to be
> more "conventional" in our project managment, and I think we should
> stick with just incrementing the version.  There's no reason that 5.1
> can't be a significant improvement over 5.0, and skipping versions
> just adds potential for confusion.
>
> Other than that, yay for GR2!

Matthew and I did talk about this briefly and it seems like this is
more than +0.1, but less than a +1.0 change to the version number.
We've done this in the past about 3 times, which is low given how
often we've changed the version number.

Is there no conventional precedent for this?

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.