[racket-dev] Removing Xexpr preference from Web Server

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 06:36:11 EST 2010

On Saturday, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> BTW, SXML and xexprs are a big win for Web development.  For one
> large system in PLT Scheme, the architects have repeatedly mentioned
> the productivity benefits of SXML for HTML pages as one of the major
> advantages of using Scheme.

They also have problems.  The ones I ran into, at least with xexprs:
they rely on lots of quasi/quotes etc and it's easy to end up with
things like "<quote>nbsp</quote>".  A related problem is the
difference between contexts that expect a single value and contexts
that expect a list of values -- with one solution of changing an
`unquote' to `unquote-splicing' and the usual problems that this can
lead to, or going with the bad "<span>stuff</span>" hack.