[racket-dev] DrDr / GR2 status

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 00:23:01 EST 2010

You may be noticing that there is a lot of noise coming from DrDr right now.

There are three kinds of problems:

1. The platform specific GUI wrappers needed to be disabled, but since
the prop file is part of the repository, it will be a while before
DrDr is building a version where it is disabled.

2. There are a few real problems with gr2:

http://drdr.racket-lang.org/21452/collects/tests/gracket/dc.rktl
http://drdr.racket-lang.org/21452/collects/tests/plot/run-tests.rkt
http://drdr.racket-lang.org/21452/collects/2htdp/tests/test-image.rkt

3. For some reason my X11 environment is really slow. I'm interested
if anyone knows how to make this better. Here's the scoop:

I used to use Xvfb, but it doesn't support RANDR (despite what the
Ubuntu bug database says), which gr2 needs.

I switched to Xorg with a dummy video card, but for some reason after
a while it takes an eternity for clients to connect to it. I have no
idea why. My next experiment will be that it is a problem with
fluxbox, the wm DrDr uses. [I needed a wm with Xvfb so that tests
could get focus. Apparently there is no focus on plain X11.]

I could try a vnc server and I may if I can't debug the Xorg problem.
Hopefully the problem won't be replicated there.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay