[plt-dev] Racket web page

From: David Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 13:56:35 EDT 2010

This looks very nice! I love the visual pun with the parens. :)

A couple initial reactions:

- As impressive as the many languages of Racket are, it seems awfully daunting to show them as the "quick start" examples. The first one I hit was 2htdp/image. If I were coming to the site cold, I'd look at that and think "what on earth is that?" Showing off the many languages is definitely a good marketing aim, but I'm not sure whether the front-page "quick start" is the place for.

- The "Grow your Mind" title came across a little condescending. Maybe "Grow your Skills" or something? I'm not sure. It might be fine. Just my first reaction.

- You probably already planned on this, but whatever style you choose, all the pages should match.

- This might be just too much work, but in an ideal world, all those links to various highlights of the language would go to more high-level descriptions of them, rather than dropping the user straight into the middle of the docs for some sub-component of Racket.

Dave, cheering from the sidelines