[plt-dev] One e-mail per commit?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 18 08:50:09 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> writes:
>
>> I agree with Eli completely here (except that I keep paper grocery
>> lists). If I received that many automated emails, I predict they would
>> get procmailed away into a folder never to be seen again.
>
> Just a note on how many e-mails you'd receive: Of course, there's been
> the recent churn because of the Racket rename (which is, I assume, why
> Matthew recommended holding off - perfectly reasonable), but Subversion
> commits (including, for instance, every individual commit by Sam on
> Typed Scheme) were on the order of 100/week.

Two points here -

1.  Not everyone received the subversion commit messages, and I think
that in the interests of people who might be put off from reading
them, we should try to keep the number smaller rather than larger.

2. In Subversion, major development was done on a branch, and then
merged with a single commit, resulting in similarly large diffs for
big merges.  With git, some changes are being batched that weren't
before, which reduces the number of emails in total.  If we separated
out every commit, that would be an increase in the volume of emails
from what it was in SVN.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu