[plt-dev] One e-mail per commit?

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at deinprogramm.de)
Date: Mon May 17 13:17:46 EDT 2010

Stevie Strickland <sstrickl at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> On May 17, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Michael Sperber wrote:
>> Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> writes:
>>> I'm sure that those 86 commits are important for *Sam* -- but as
>>> far as *I'm* concerned it's all a big blurry "stuff happened in
>>> typed scheme"
>> If they're truly only important to Sam, they should live in Sam's
>> repository, not in everyone's.  The whole point of a distributed SCM
>> is that this kind of thing is actually manageable, and pretty easily
>> so.
>
> I don't think those commits are only important for Sam, though.  Sam
> could indeed squash those commits all into one before pushing them to
> the main repository, but then we've lost a couple of things: small
> commits that are easily digestible, and the history of how Sam's work
> evolved over the weeks of development he spent on it.  While it's not
> always necessary to perform forensics on the development history of a
> piece of code, this kind of information is pretty crucial for doing
> so.  Also, it's easier to bisect across a lot of small changes instead
> of having a single, massive change flagged as causing an error.

I didn't say they're only important to Sam - Eli said this.

I only said that *if* X is about to push N (where N >> 1) changes and
*X* thinks only the composition of those changes matters for everyone
else, then X should push a single composed patch.  I totally agree with
the rest of what you said - especially "easily digestible", which the
current push e-mails are not.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike