[plt-dev] One e-mail per commit?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 12:29:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> writes:
>

>> Further, I don't see how it would be useful to try to understand that
>> merge in terms of 30+ emails, all sent at the same time.
>
> I'm assuming that the granularity of your commits communicate something
> useful about the genesis of what you're doing - that's why we want them
> in the version history in the first place.  If the 30+ commits can only
> be understood as a whole, they should be pushed as a single commit, not
> 30+.

The granularity of the commits communicate the history of how the work
was done.  They aren't redone to produce a Linux-kernel-style patch
series.  If you're reviewing the code, you'd want to read the whole
thing at once, which is why I pushed it all at once.

Just for concreteness, the relevant commit is here:
http://git.racket-lang.org/plt/27014e9147..684ae395e6
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu