[plt-dev] One e-mail per commit?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon May 17 09:33:35 EDT 2010

On May 17, Michael Sperber wrote:

> So I'd like to propose sending one e-mail per commit instead, where
> the Subject line carries the first line of the commit message.
> (We've been doing things this way with Scheme 48 and XEmacs, FWIW -
> works wonderfully.)  [...]

To put things in perspective, looking at the scheme48 and the xemacs
commit history, I see about 50 commits total in the last two months.
PLT had that number of commits in the last two days, and about 900
commits in the last two months.  Even if the switch made it be twice
busier, that's still 10 times the messages you'd get from the other
two.

> Possibly, it makes sense to avoid sending e-mails on merge commits,
> but that's only a bonus.

I don't think so: eg, Sam's recent merge of a long lived branch could
have (or might have) been pushed as a single merge commit.

> Eli says the ordering may get screwed up - not a problem for me.

Yes, either messages from the same push will come randomly, or an
artificial `sleep' will make for annoying chains of new mail messages.
In addition, for many commits on the same code (which is natural since
people tend to work on their own corners), you'd get a much larger
volume of emails since they'll each come with their own diff.

On May 17, Robby Findler wrote:

> Me too.

1. I'll take and record votes for one or the other, so please be
   explicit whether you want the change, don't, or don't care.  (No
   need to reply to the list unless there's new content, of course.)

2. I can guarantee that I'll have no time to even think about this for
   enough time that I'll forget to do it unless reminded.  So doing
   anything about it now is completely out.