[plt-dev] Re: [plt-bug] all/10895: quasiquote printing is buggy, confusing

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 5 13:38:22 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But I think the semi-quasiquote style
>> printing is a mistake. As Carl said in the initial bug report, `(,(foo
>> 1 2)) is a lot of notation.  I'd much prefer (list (foo 1 2)),
>
> At the very least have a little optimization that looks for quoted
> lists where every element is evaluable.

I disagree with this suggestion.  I would, of course, prefer
constructor-style printing, as I said before, but if we absolutely
have to use quasiquote printing for lists, let's be consistent about
it.  Any s-expression output is hard enough to read without having two
different formats for lists in it.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.