[racket-dev] comment boxes

From: Paul Ojanen (engineer at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 25 19:50:12 EDT 2010

Are you thinking of totally removing any mode-ing/interpreting in the
comment boxes?  Or just saying you are going to have the boxes' mode match
the file's mode?  If it's the former, then my comments below are relevant.

My students and I use comment boxes when we want to display editable code in
a comment.  I do it often for function templates.  It's nice that the
coloration and indentation work in a comment box.  But, wow, does a comment
box totally seem to bloat the size of a source file!

I do like that when I use a comment block and then "reindent all" DrRacket
does not mess up the indentation inside the comment block.  But what is
difficult about the comment blocks (when we're using to auto-indent) is that
if a template is in a block, then changing a template doesn't get
auto-indented unless we uncomment it, edit it, then re-comment it.  This is
by far the biggest use I and my very few students have for comment boxes
over blocks, especially when copying-and-pasting templates to create new
ones.

If it weren't for the function templates we wouldn't miss the comment boxes
being able to be seen as code by DrRacket.

-Paul