[racket-dev] define-for-syntax optional/keyword arguments

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 9 07:52:30 EDT 2010

At Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:23:54 -0500, Casey Klein wrote:
> `define-for-syntax' doesn't allow optional or keyword arguments,
> although the documentation suggests it should.
>
> I tried to fix this myself, but I'm getting a mysterious compile error.
> [...]
> collects/racket/private/kw.rkt:708:46: compile: unbound identifier in
> module (in phase 1, transformer environment) in: new-lambda
> [...]
>
> I don't get the error when I `racket' the files I changed.
> [...]
> Is there some bootstrapping trick I need to know?

There's no special bootstrapping step.

The error only happens when a use of `define-for-syntax' is expanded,
which is why directly requiring "kw.rkt" doesn't trigger an error. When
`define-for-syntax' is used in some other module, though, it expands
into a phase-1 use of `new-lambda', while the "kw.rkt" module context
binds `new-lambda' only at phase 0.

There's no way to define `define-for-syntax' inside of "kw.rkt". It can
be implemented in "pre-base.rkt" by importing "kw.rkt" for syntax.

I've made that change, and I'll push after building and testing.

Posted on the dev mailing list.