[racket-dev] web page text

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 7 17:11:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:57:56 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> Right now, the main Racket web page says just "Racket is a programming
>> language".  Even though we didn't come to an agreement on great text
>> to put there, I think just about anything would be better than that.
>> What about just using the line from the old web page: "Racket is an
>> innovative programming language that builds on a rich academic and
>> practical tradition"?
>
> Between those options, I still prefer "Racket is a programming
> language", but I'd be happier with something better.

First, some data.  All of Perl, Python, PHP, Groovy, and Ruby (the
only ones I looked at) have some line like that - slightly more
informative than "is a programming language", but mostly just saying
that its great.

Second, right now I think it looks like a mistake.  I'd rather remove
the whole box entirely.  There's no need to clarify that Racket is a
programming language - the page does an excellent job of that already.
 We should only use that space if we have something useful to put
there.

If we want something explanatory, I'd go back to the original slogan,
which was "Racket is a full-featured programming environment that
gives you unprecedented control over the programming language."

If we want a slogan, how about "Racket: program your programming
language" or just "Racket: program your language".
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.