[racket-dev] P4P: A Syntax Proposal

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 14:31:10 EDT 2010

At first I thought, how is this different than Honu?

If this isn't a reader, I don't see it being fundamentally different
from Honu. (Many of the same ideas are recreated, actually. The macro
slack term, for example, is exactly what Jon does.)

I think there is a place for a non-sexp reader like the @ reader, but
optimized for something other than text. But I don't like P4P's ad-hoc
set of special keywords like "defvar:" etc rather than a uniform rule.
If the parser has to know about these, then P4P is not extensible in
the same way as the sexp or @ readers.

A constructive suggestion: treat a trailing : as a special parser cue,
treating {s specially, taking the meaningful indentation ideas, etc.

Jay

Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay