[racket-dev] haskell's 'hell of a lot of libraries', planet

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 09:41:37 EDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 12:26 AM, YC wrote:

> Other package systems separate the installation step from the import step

Indeed, this is the key design decision separating us from the rest of the world, and it is not clear whether it was a good decision.

On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Jay McCarthy wrote:

> something I see as a design principle behind Racket) because we instead write "(require (planet nintendo/ds))"

This is indeed a principle that was explicitly stated during our time at Rice, over and over again. If it's worth saying, it's worth saying in the language.

> Thinking about the location of this additional information points to me that we currently have only "internal" linking of packages.

This could also be a solution to the point YC makes.

Posted on the dev mailing list.