[racket-dev] haskell's 'hell of a lot of libraries', planet

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (stephen.degabrielle at acm.org)
Date: Wed Jul 28 04:09:28 EDT 2010

Some thoughts:
Hackage includes
- making the distinction between program, library. ( plugin ?)
- an expanded set of categories
Cpan includes
- tester reviews
- the dreaded 'other' category

To improve fundability once you get to thousands of
libraries/apps/plugins/frameworks/languages

It's not to early to think about an expanded set of categories, or
even a more sophisticated vocabulary with a structure like the Library
of congress subject headings, though not quite as big. ;)

Tagging may also serve this purpose, though it has problems not
limited to tags like 'other'.

Once you start using more tags/categories how they are used can become
a problem.
- is a teachpack a plugin, language extension, or a language?

The other metadata question that jumps to mind is the licence under
which packages are offered. I think this would be important if you
integrated collects and planet.(racket app store anyone?)

Cheers,

Stephen