[racket-dev] proposal: `data' collection

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (stephen.degabrielle at acm.org)
Date: Fri Jul 2 13:29:47 EDT 2010

On the abundance of riches;

On Friday, July 2, 2010, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> 1. Size matters even if it doesn't really matter. Seeing these numbers makes it clear that our download will be called a behemoth and an ms style colossus. We all know that in the end, this number is irrelevant. PLT comes with a lot of extra stuff and that stuff is useful. But among the hacker crowd this number can turn things against us and they influence a lot of the rest of the world.

DrRacket comes with a surprising number of tools for instance. Should
some be moved to planet?

> 2. And yes, even more importantly, the connectivity graph among collects may concern us. Why however? Collects aren't modules and it is easily possible to work in parallel on interconnected collects.

When I first started using DrScheme on a netbook with a 4gb ssd, I
switched off a number of tools to make startup happen quicker.

Stephen De Gabrielle
stephen.degabrielle at acm.org
Telephone +44 (0)20 85670911
Mobile        +44 (0)79 85189045