[plt-dev] language dialog

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 29 14:22:27 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Carl Eastlund <carl.eastlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could we populate the Language dialog with popular choices (PLT
> Scheme, R6RS Scheme, etc.) that all just dump the user into what we
> know as the Module language, but with the right first line provided?
> It seems like what users want is split up differently from how we've
> implemented it, so why not present a menu split up the way users want
> and keep the implementation split up the way we find convenient.

I considered this, but am afraid that it may be too big of a change
for some of our users at this point. Also, I'm afraid that we don't
yet have (up to snuff) #lang-based versions of all of our languages.

So, I think we want to leave the 'old way' around for a little while
longer, but make it less and less emphasized. Eventually, we can
either have a dialog like that or maybe even something more fancy and
better integrated with the source (which would mean dropping the
language dialog entirely).

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.