[plt-dev] language dialog

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Jan 29 00:32:54 EST 2010

On Jan 28, Ryan Culpepper wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote:
> > Matthew suggested a change to the language dialog that I've just now
> > checked in. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.
>
> I think the explanatory text under the first option should be replaced
> with something like the following:
>
>    Typical language declarations:
>      #lang <language-name>
>      #!r6rs

That seems unnecessary to me, since it will insert a #lang line
anyway, so that's enough of a demonstration IMO.

But I think that "typically" should be removed.  (The only way to get
a working file with no #lang would be to use #reader, and that should
be discouraged.)  Without that word, the text seems fine to me.  Also,
I like the second sentence.

But then the second radio box seems strange.  "Choose a language"
seems like a contradition to the text above it, so I think that better
text would be something that says "choose a language if you really
don't want to follow the above advice and you know what you're doing
or someone who knows what they're doing told you to do so".  Only
shorter.

> It should also have a link to an explanation of language
> declarations in the help desk, either following the examples or as
> the text "language declarations" above hyperlinked.

That would be nice, but doesn't seem as important as the change overall.

> How about updating the line at the bottom of the frame based on the
> language found also? That is, instead of "Module", it should say
> something like "Module: scheme" or "Module: scheme/base" or "Module:
> r6rs".

Actually, I've been meaning to suggest adding a language property for
the display string for the language -- then both DrScheme and MzScheme
could use it.  The default could be the language module that gets
used, or the laguage specification part on the input.

More problems, and see my screen shot at tmp.barzilay.org/L.png :

* The "#lang" in "Typically, a #lang line ..." is biger than the
  surrounding text.

* Both the radio buttons are on.

* I'd prefer it if there was some easy way to really dim the language
  list box.  Otherwise, it's bright enough that it's easy to click
  somewhere without reading the text above it.