[plt-dev] random testing, we need to do more of this

From: Casey Klein (clklein at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 24 08:27:38 EST 2010

Claessen and Hughes emphasize this benefit in the original QuickCheck paper.

"We are convinced that one of the major advantages of using QuickCheck
is that it encourages us to formulate formal specifications, thus
improving our understanding of our programs. While it is open to the
programmer to do this anyway, few really do, perhaps because there is
little short term payoff, and perhaps because a specification is of
less value if there is no check at all that it corresponds to the
implemented program. QuickCheck addresses both these issues: it gives
us short-term payoff via automated testing, and some reason to believe
that properties stated in a module actually hold."

http://www.md.chalmers.se/~koen/Papers/quick.ps (section 6.6)