[plt-dev] `rico' and ".rkt"

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Feb 15 13:20:31 EST 2010

Robby Findler wrote at 02/15/2010 12:52 PM:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>
>> Would it work to make the automagical translation happen *only* if ".ss" is
>> specified (which is what all the legacy code has)?  Then, if ".rkt" or no
>> extension is specified, then assume the filename has ".rkt", and never
>> assume ".ss".
>>

> There may be legacy code providers, too. Ie a planet package that has
> a "main.ss" file intead of a "main.tekcar" (or whatever the extension
> ends up being).

I'd say that people would continue to say "main.ss" in this case.  Then,
the automagical rule for ".ss" in references will keep their code
running if that package ever renames the file to "main.rkt".

Basically, seeing ".ss" in code is a sign that legacy code is involved
one one or both ends, so that's when the automagical backward-compatible
stuff kicks in.

When code instead says ".rkt" or (my proposal) has no extension at all
then we know legacy code is *not* on either end, so we don't pollute the
behavior of new code with the backward-compatibility kludge.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/