[plt-dev] #lang: the stake in Dracula's heart?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Feb 1 17:26:33 EST 2010

On Feb  1, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > DrScheme can be made to pretend (relatively easily, I think) that
> > some "#lang"-less buffer really has the right "#lang indirect
> > STDIN r6rs" contents, or something like that.  In any case, I
> > don't consider it important to think about drscheme-specific
> > problems -- I believe that finding a good solution at the mzscheme
> > level is bound to lead to a drscheme solution.
>
> If mzscheme recognized something like DrScheme tools -- more
> lightweight and GUI-free, but still a form of library registry --
> registering file extensions should be easy.

One of the main things that I dislike with extension registration is
that it means that running mzscheme on a file makes it do much more
work, in this case -- digging through all info files (reading
"collects/info-domain/compiled/cache.ss") for the registration.  This
is in addition to the (bad) result of making the semantics of files
depend on my specific environment.  (For example, this is one of the
bad aspects of having teachpacks specified outside of the file.)