[racket-dev] (round), etc. in Typed Racket

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Dec 13 10:43:58 EST 2010

That reassures me. Thanks.

Would we not have the same problem with 'rational?'.
All reals, both exact and inexact ones are rationals (for the obvious reason
that we cannot represent every irrational number in finite memory)
Would we not need the same distinction between 'exact-rational?' and
'inexact-rational?'. May be 'rational?' should mean 'exact-rational?' and
'real?' should mean 'inexact-real?' or 'inexact-rational?'.
And how about exact and inexact 'complex?'?

I have the feeling that the numeric tower is tilting like that of Pisa.

Nevertheless I see some advantage in the R6RS tower of numbers. Although all
numbers as stored in memory have exact representations (though may be
several of kilobytes), it remains useful to know whether or not along the
computation of a number, the system was forced to produce an approximation
(as in (sqrt 2)).

When it comes to efficiency, flonums may be preferred, but it is not
difficult to enforce a function to do all its computations with flonums.
Jos

Posted on the dev mailing list.