[racket-dev] stepper UI question

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 26 13:35:03 EDT 2010

Understood.  But I think this is what Robby is saying is very
difficult to implement correctly, and he's suggesting we put it in a
different window at least for now so that we don't get bogged down in
the details of the Interactions window.  Right, Robby?

Shriram

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
>
>> Anyone else have comments/suggestions?
>
> Robby's idea of allowing students to choose how a RUN actually worked occurred to me too but I had a different behavior in mind. Instead of opening a separate window, I'd much rather see a step-by-step evaluation in the repl.
>
> Here is what I have in mind assuming (f x y) (sqrt (+ (sqr x) (sqr y))) is in the Definitions area:
>
>> (f 3 4)
> 5   { STEP }
>
> If STEP is clicked, the following line appears:
> ==> (f 3 4)
>
> and the student has the option of seeing the rest of the reduction sequence:
> ==> (f 3 4)
> ==> (sqrt (+ (sqr 3) (sqr 4))
> ==> (sqrt (+ 9 (sqr 4))
> ==> (sqrt (+ 9 16))
> Each line highlights the contractum.
> The penultimate line highlights the redex.
>
> Each step is generated in response to a student action (return or click of button or keyboard shortcut). Students should have actions available to skip to the next function application, conditional, or primitive operation.
>
> ;; ---
>
> Thanks for tackling that.
>
> Do keep in mind that Stephen is working on adapting the stepper (guts) to the Lazy language too.
>
> -- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.