[racket-dev] gc vs assignment

From: Kevin Tew (tewk at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 24 10:51:37 EDT 2010

Write barriers in racket3m are implemented using memory protection
primitives provided by the OS.
Between collections we only incur a write barrier cost the first time a
page (16k in racket) is written to.
After the first access per page, additional mutations on that page have
no extra cost, until the gc collects again.
Mutating objects living in the nursery has no gc overhead.

Kevin