[racket-dev] RFC: Coding Guidelines

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 19 10:19:36 EDT 2010

Yes, we all did. I think it was Matthew who pushed to the point where
we would think of saying such things by his
release-early-respond-quickly philosophy of software building.

(It would be nice to figure out a way to build on Dijkstra's quote to do this.)

Robby

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Yes. I started using the phrase "I have bug reports, therefore I exist" at Rice. I think Jay should add this phrase right next to the other quote.
>

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> Guys: we need one more thing to go into the beginning of these
>> guidelines. Specifically, we should say (something like) "Bugs are
>> something to be proud of; not to be ashamed of." the rationale being
>> that there are always bugs, but if they are unknown bugs then it means
>> your software is not being used.
>>
>>  It is the way we choose to fight our bugs that determines our
>> character, not their presence or absence.
>>
>> Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.