[racket-dev] Racket stuffs

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 17 21:32:24 EDT 2010

> I like "http://" as a better (IMO, of course) visual cue, which is why
> I used it...   I can probably make a "www." alternative if you like
> that better.   (It could work with neither, since ".org" is good enough
> in the relevant crowds, but it makes it short enough to be ugly.)

I think it's more hip these days to have URLs without ASCII salad.

Just "racket-lang.org" would be too short.  And just a bit weird.  The
"www." gives it a reassuring normalcy.  The truly hip (like Eli) will
try it without the "www."  just to be ornery, find it works, and
realize they're up against a worthy adversary (Eli).

> OK -- it is supposed to be centered, but I guess that the left of the
> "R" is much more visible as an alignment point over the right tip of
> the "t".

Yes, I noticed the slight indent on the right.  But it's so close to
being the same width that it just looks like carelessness.

(Removing the ASCII salad will descrease the width, thereby making
clearer that it *is* centered.)

>> - I also wonder if a little more space between the name and the URL
>> might not be a good thing.
>
> You mean "might be a good thing"?   I tried it, but it looks too
> disconnected, so I was shooting for making the url go where an
> underline for the "Racket" would go.

I believe "I wonder whether ... might not be a good thing" means "I
think ... is a good thing".  Queen's English, dude.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.